Yellow sacs in back of throat. Taken antibiotics. Wear invisalign. Worried of them reinfecting me

ENT Specialist
I have had yellow sacks in the back of my throat for a month now, im 28 and smoke occasionally, It started with a bad sore throat I went to the hosp for on the 27th of july, he perscribed penicillin vk in 2 liquid bottles, at 10ml 3 times daily, It took a little over a week to get through the first bottle and I was feeling fine so I stopped taking it since it had been so long, a few days later it returned so I started taking the second bottle, then the next week I injured my finger and the doc perscribed me cephalexin 500 mg capsule and I took 4 a day for 5 days, during the time I was on antibiotics my throat feels fine, once I quit it just keeps coming back.

the yellow sacks on the back of my throat worry and and I think there might be some in the crevaces of my tonsils, the doc didnt do a strep test but shouldnt after all those antibiotics for pretty much a month shouldnt it be gone?

and also I wear invisalign I was worried of them reinfecting me so I have been soaking them in a 50/50 peroxide and water solution is that enough to kill any bacteria? and also I have been soaking my tooth brush in rubbing alcohol to sanitize it
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

The yellowish deposits you see on the throat could be either micro-abscesses present over the tonsils or the inflamed lymphoid follicles.

If you can send us a snapshot of the lesion we will be able to help you in a better way.

To explain to in detail regarding both of these conditions:

1. Tonsils have multiple crypts wherein the food materials will get lodged into these crevices. The food lodged thus gets infected with the bacteria feasting over these retained food material. If there is continued assault over the mucosa or lowered immunity levels an abscess or an infective process sets in due to which there will sore throat, fever, difficulty in swallowing, etc.

2. Similarly, there are numerous lymphoid follicles in the oral cavity which will get inflamed following throat infection, which gives rise to cobblestone appearance. Due to dehydration during the infective process there will be coating over these follicles which will make it appear like yellowish swellings.

Whatever may be the above situation the treatment remains the same. My advice to you is:
1. Drink plenty of warm water
2. Avoid chilled/hot food and beverages
3. Avoid smoking/alcohol/coffee/fried food till you recover completely
4. Use Povidone iodine throat spray/gargles
5. A potent anti-inflammatory medicines (such as Ibuprofen or Diclofenac)
6. A short course of oral steroids will give you excellent relief

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Follow-up: Yellow sacs in back of throat. Taken antibiotics. Wear invisalign. Worried of them reinfecting me 6 hours later
I took some pictures of my throat, I tried to get some good ones of the sacks in the back of my throat and the ones on my tonsils but the tonsil pictures were very hard so I dont know how much you can get from them.

Also is soaking the braces in the 50/50 peroxide water solution a good way to disinfect them? or do you think they may still be living on my braces?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back and posting those images, it has indeed made my work simpler and am more confident in answering your query.

I did examine the images thoroughly; they are the granulations over the posterior pharyngeal wall. These granulations are the enlarged lymphoid follicles present over the pharyngeal wall. This is usually noticed in those individuals who are having recurrent sore throat which could be secondary to acid reflux, allergy or infections. Secondly, the tonsils appear almost normal, but I could not appreciate any signs of severe infection.

Do not worry! It is harmless, but the presence of these granulations can give rise to foreign body sensation in the throat. My suggestion to you is to continue as per advice in the previous response, you will definitely be alright.

Finally, you can clean your braces with dilute hydrogen peroxide solution. It is not the source of your problems. I do feel you have not been treated adequately.

Usually, in chronic infections a throat swab has to be taken before administering the antibiotics and the latter has to be given for at least 2 weeks depending upon the type of organism. Rest of it; follow as per my advice, you will be alright. Also, avoid any type of fizzy drinks for a few months till your problems settle down.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon