X-ray showed upper lobe opacity with surrounding fibrosis. Is this a serious case?

Dear Doctor, my wife just had a X-Ray test, the result said that XXXXXXX a 1.6cm opacity with irregular margins and surrounding fibrosis is seen in the left upper zone". She will run further tests soon, but I am so worry, may I ask is this a serious case? Is this TB? She has no symtoms for TB so far.
Thank you very much. XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 12 May 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 1 hour later

Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Your wife xray findings are suggestive of left upper lobe opacity with surrounding fibrosis.

2. In absence of any clinical features these are likely to represent sequeale of old healed infections of the lungs.

3. If her symptoms are present, then she requires to undertake a course of antibiotics.

4. Further investigations that could be required are sputum examination, blood counts, mantoux test, bronchoscopy and CT scan thorax.

5. If she has any clinical symptoms then please mention them in detail.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
Consultant Pulmonologist