Would Utovlan cause an increase in a d dimer blood result?

Would utolvan cause an increase in a d timer blood result
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 3 hours later

I saw your profile and see that you have a swollen leg and a bruit.
May I ask you which part of the leg swollen and for how long? Is it painful? And was there any trauma?
Are you on any other medication?

I am asking this because, Utovlan does not raise the d-dimer level; but if there is a DVT (deep vein thrombosis- clotting in the veins) of the calf or lower leg veins, it can !

D-dimer gets raised in these clotting conditions and these female hormones (Utovlan) predispose to DVT / coagulability. And if you are developing DVT unfortunately, it can give the elevated d-dimer, which are clot degradation protein products simply saying.

If your doctor also feels it is DVT, he /she will advise a lower limb Doppler of veins and a 2D echo of the heart to look for pulmonary embolism.

Since DVT can pose problems, you should act on your doctor's advice and get evaluated.

I would be glad to be of any more help and answer any follow up queries.
Hope this satisfies your query.

Please take time to rate my answer and write a review if you have no follow-up queries or after they are answered subsequently and then close this query.

Take care and good luck!