Worry for Cdt test, no alcohol since a week, history of alcoholic for many years. Alcohol show in test?

I had to take a Cdt test today,I was drinking allot over the years everday in fact but have slowed down the last few months,I havn't drank alcohol in a week,I am 5'11 150 lbs. will the alcohol show in my blood as to how long it's been since I drank last?and does alcohol disipate from the blood faster in a skinny person?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 5 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     45 year old female
•     History of alcohol use for many years
•     Gradual tapering of alcohol use over few months and no alcohol use for 1 week.
•     Worry related to Cdt test

Carbohydrate-deficient transferrin (CDT) is an investigation used to detect alcohol consumption.

These carbohydrate-deficient transferrins can be measured in the bloodstream, and are an important marker for alcohol abuse.

CDT is measured by taking a sample of a patient's blood. Apparently healthy individuals with no or low reported alcohol consumption and a negative Alcohol Use Disorder Identification Test will have a %CDT <3.0.

The normal value of the serum CDT concentration is under 60 mg/liter; a value between 60 and 100 mg/liter indicates probable alcoholism, and a value > 100 mg/liter indicates a very high probability of alcoholism (specificity: 99%). Its half-life is 17 +/- 4 days.

With elevated CDT test it is not possible to comment duration of alcohol abstinence. But in one study it came to within normal limit in 36% of patients after 15 days of abstinence. Even there is no scientific study to prove that alcohol dissipate from the blood faster in a skinny person.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.