Womb has descended. What causes this? Treatment?

Hi i am a 44 year old lady and just been told my wome id destended and got to have bloody test and scan can tell me what courses this and treatment
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 3 hours later
Hi there XXXXXXX Thank you for posting your question.

Sorry, your question is a bit unclear. I think you meant to say that your womb was descended not distended. This is also known as uterine prolapse.

If I am correct in this then uterine prolapse is caused by child bearing. How you manage it will depend entirely on your symptoms and whether or not you want to have more children.

If you are having a lot of symptoms like a dragging sensation down there and maybe urine incontinence and you do not mind loosing your fertility then a simple hysterectomy would be your best option.

If however your symptoms are not all that severe and you would like to have more children, then there are some non-surgical management options that you will be given to consider.

Please revert if I'm missing anything here. Otherwise I hope that this answer is acceptable to you. Thanks again and good health!