Woke up with sharp intense pain in back of heel and lower right leg bone. What is it ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I woke up yesterday with a pain in what is either the back of my heel or the ankle or maybe even the lower part of my right leg bone. I know it sounds wierd but I can't actualy tell wher it is despite the intensity of it. It is also hard to discribe like both sharp and inense as well as dull and achey. I tried to blow it off despite the intensity because i get what feels like achy bones all the time in my arms and legs for no real reason. But this is starting to interfere with my dayly life. Driving and walking are a nightmare. I usualy have a high thershhold but it is realy bad.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

Leg and heel pain that hinder a person's mobility without any history of injury can be due to many reasons like-
1. Plantar fasciitis.
2. Stress fractures.
3. Achillis tendonitis.

I am sorry; I am unable to give you a specific possibility. However, only a detailed examination of the affected limb can help us narrow down the possibility.

Hence I strongly suggest you to visit your orthopedic for a careful examination. He/she then may suggest you good calf muscle stretching exercises. Cortisone injections and orthopedic taping of the foot to support the arch may be needed in severe cases.

In the meantime, rest the foot, avoid weight bearing, apply ice on the affected area and take some mild pain killer like ibuprofen or tylenol.

I encourage you to consult an orthopedician for a proper examination so that appropriate treatment can be initiated early.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.