Ask a Dentist   »  

Wisdom teeth removed. Noticed lumpy fleshy thing on the back of throat behind the uvula. Worried for cancer

ENT Specialist
I have had a wisdom tooth out about three weeks ago, this was my last one. the tooth was not causing any problems, the tooth was removed by a dental surgeon. both my dentist and surgeon examined my mouth and throat. I was looking in my mouth to see how the hole is healing using a flash light. The for the tooth hole looks ok, but I noticed a lumpy fleshy looking thing on the back wall of my throat, on the back upper part, behind the uvula kind of oval, about 2cmX 1cm and 1/4cm raised, does not hurt, not bleeding. what is this thing, and would the dentist or surgeon not have said anything? or is it cancer
Posted Mon, 22 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The fleshy lump at the back of your throat behind the uvula is probably a normal island of lymphoid tissue (like tonsil tissue). This may be a part of the lateral or posterior pharyngeal bands of lymphoid tissue (also known as Waldeyer's Ring). Enlargement of a lot of these gives rise to the cobble-stoned appearance of what is commonly known as Granular Pharyngitis.

2. Just to be sure, get your throat re-examined by and draw their attention to this lump. You may also post a close-up image here.

3. Medication is only required if it is symptomatic or growing. If in doubt, a small punch biopsy from the edge will settle the issue. It is unlikely to be a cancer.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.