Will the consumption of doxycycline hyclate affect my fetus?

My husband was taking 200mg of Doxycycline Hyclate twice a day for 7 days last month. I have found out I am now pregnant. Will him taking this drug effect the foetus?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 15 minutes later

Doxycycline, is a Pregnancy Category D medication.

Doxycycline is typically not recommended for women who are expecting. The medicine may cause permanent tooth discoloration in the child, and may even affect bone formation.

A pregnancy Category D medicine may still be given to a pregnant woman if the healthcare provider believes that the benefits to the woman outweigh the possible risks to the unborn child.

But, Doxycycline has not been shown to cause any anomalies or affect spermatogenesis. Hence when taken by a male partner, will neither affect the sperms that are being formed and hence the fetus will be completely unaffected.

Hence, you need not worry about the effects of doxycycline taken by your husband the previous month. The fetus will be normal in all aspects.

I hope this answers your question.

I shall be available to answer any persistent doubts or any other questions that you have.