Will taking lower dosage of tacrolimus post liver transplant cause any problems?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2016
Feb 2016

General Surgeon
Question
I had a liver transplant 16 months ago and perfectly well. Am on tacrolimus 3mg per day alternating with 2 mg. per day but I am in South Africa and for the last 5 days have only enough to take 1mg. per day until getting home. I suspect nothing will happen but want to check. Can't get a hold of my clinic because of the time change. Thx. XXXX
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Consult your clinic or see availability in SA Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for writing in with your query. As you must be knowing, tacrolimus is needed to avoid rejection of liver transplant. You can not really take any chances and have to consult your clinic to get the best answer. What I can tell you is to have to carry on this medicine on the prescribed doses. Time change can not be a big problem and should be tackled. If you have a prescription just try to see if it can be made available in South Africa. Hope this answers your question, please feel free to write back if you have any doubts. Wishing you good health. Regards