Will hypopigmentated patch on my baby's chin fade away?

Hello sir/ mam I have a 2 month old baby boy who has a hypopigmentated patch on his chin, it became obvious when he turned slightly dark after 2-3 wks from birth. Its been the same ever since. Also when he was born his jaundice was high around 14.8 his doc wanted to wait a month and it reduced. Though we didn't do a blood test again it was fine clinically. Can I know if this patch is going to permanent or will fade out. Also I would like to send a pic of the patch for better understanding
Posted Mon, 13 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 4 hours later
Brief Answer: relax Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your query. I underatand your concern. Relax,there is nothing to worry. This hypopigmented patch is pitrysis XXXXXXX and is benign and self limiting. It is seen in many infants and usually clear by 1 to 2 year of age. I suggest you to apply bland emollient or coconut oil to this area as it will prevent dryness. In case there is reddness or itching associated sometimes less potent local steroid like hydrocortisone is used. You mentioned about jaundice it was physiological jaundice which got corrected of its own. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any further question I would be glad to help. Wishing your baby good health. God bless...
Follow-up: Will hypopigmentated patch on my baby's chin fade away? 11 minutes later
Thank you for the prompt reply. I hope it goes off and yes I am applying baby lotion yo the area regularly to avoid dryness. Will switch to the one you have suggested. And yes it was physiological jaundice and has got rectified.
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Thanks for your follow up. In future if you need any advice I will be glad to help. Wishing you and your family good health. Happy parenting!!!
Follow-up: Will hypopigmentated patch on my baby's chin fade away? 8 hours later
Just out of curosity why does this patch occur in the first place. And if it does not go even when he is two then will it mean its a permanent thing. Bec as you know kids once they start playing they get tanned then the patch will become more obvious and I don't want it to be a hindrance for him in mixing with other kids.
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Thanks again. In pitrysis XXXXXXX the density of melanocytes is decreased in the affected area. No definitive etiologic agent has been described. This condition is more common in children where history of atopy is seen in parents. As it is selflimiting and in 90% of cases settles by age 2 but in somw it can persist till 10years as well. Adequate sun protection needs to be done when he will go in sun. In case it persist when he grows older dermatologist consultation can be taken. Hope this helps. Take care..