Will hardwood smell affect my fetus during pregnancy?

Mar 2016

Hi, I recently moved to a new place and the landlord refinished the hardwood floor about 3 weeks before we moved in. There is still smell there, I am a bit concerned about it. Is the smell going to hurt the fetus ?? I currently 4 months pregnant.
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer: NO HARMFUL EFFECT AT THIS STAGE OF PREGNANCY. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments: Smell of modern household paint (which is completed 3 weeks ago) RARELY causes harm to your unborn baby at 4 months pregnancy because you moved to new place after completion of Fetal Organogenesis in the first trimester. Therefore, risk of birth defect, miscarriage and learning problems will be quite LOW or RARE as absorption of paint through smell is quite NEGLIGIBLE due to no running paint works at present. So, you wouldn't be worried much. SUGGESTION: You would undergo QUADRUPLE TEST (within 15th to 22nd week) and FETAL ANOMALY SCAN (18th to 23rd week) to exclude RARE possibility. You can consult with your OBSTETRICIAN regarding this and do periodic check up as per schedule. Hope, I have answered your query. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and successful motherhood. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW
Follow-up: Will hardwood smell affect my fetus during pregnancy? 5 hours later
Thank u for your answer. I would like to know, what stage would the paint then have an effect on the fetus if there is any effect at all ?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer: DETAILS ARE GIVEN BELOW. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for follow up query. Most vulnerable stage for fetal birth defect and miscarriage is first 3 months or first trimester. Running household paint works with solvent or Lead-based paints, volatile organic compound is most XXXXXXX for fetal defect in comparison to water-based paints. Gastroschisis may develop if pregnant women get exposure during first trimester. In this condition, a baby has a hole in his tummy, causing the intestines & other organs to grow outside the body. Miscarriage is also common in few percentage. Hope, it helps for your understanding. Kindly, close the discussion. Good luck and all the best. Regards, Dr Soumen