Took The Triple Test when 13 weeks pregnant but not satisfied. Is it safe to take test again?

Mar 2016

I took a TTT test when I was almost 13weeks pregnant and am not satisfied with either the quality of service in hospital or the results. am currently 16 weeks pregnant. can I take the test again in a different hospital? is it safe?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
QUADRUPLE test is best. Both are safe.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic.

The TRIPLE Test (TTT) is usually performed in second trimester, specifically in between 14th to 21st week of gestational age. However, it gives more accurate result when it is done between the 16th and 18th weeks of pregnancy.

In my point of view, you took the test very early which may misinterpret the test result. In doubtful case or for confirmation, you need to repeat the test and it is the best time (16th week) to undergo the test.

However, you can undergo QUADRUPLE test alternatively at this stage and it is superior to TRIPLE test in detecting down's syndrome (Trisomy 21) and other chromosomal disorder (like Trisomy 13 & 18) along with neural tube defect, twin pregnancy, omphalocele, or gastroschisis etc. I would recommend QUADRUPLE test for you as per current gestational age.

The Triple Test: a blood test to measure beta-hCG, unconjugated estriol (UE3) and alpha-fetoprotein (AFP).

The quadruple test: a blood test to measure all of the above plus Inhibin A.

Kindly, consult with your obstetrician or healthcare provider to proceed the above mentioned test.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood .

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Took The Triple Test when 13 weeks pregnant but not satisfied. Is it safe to take test again? 46 minutes later
Hi Dr.soumen,

Many thanks for your email. I had a UTI after LMP. also I had taken 5 premolit-n to avoid my periods without knowing am pregnant. I hope the quadruple test would be sufficient to test if the baby is safe. Is there anythin I should check wit my
Answered by Dr. S Patra 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
QUADRUPLE test & TIFFA scan.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your follow up query.

First of all, PRIMOLUT-N (norethisterone tab) or UTI usually does not impact on growing embryo before confirmation of pregnancy (around 4-5 weeks from LMP). However, it should be discontinued soon after positive pregnancy test.

Second thing, fetal organogenesis takes place from 5th week onwards and before that, congenital malformation does not develop generally. It is quite unlike. So, you would not be worried about this.

Last thing, QUADRUPLE test is best to detect above said abnormality. However, you can undergo another test if feasible, named TIFFA scan (Targeted Imaging For Fetal Anomalies) around 18th to 23rd weeks to detect gross and minor fetal anomaly. It is also safe and can be done irrespective of above test result.

Hope, I have guided you with my experience. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen