Will I have to postpone my hernia surgery if I have an infection in my jaw?

I am ready to ask a Doctor this question: Friday morning my Dentist did what he called a gum peel. It was to fill a tooth that the cavity went below the gum line. In the middle of the night my jaw line was so swollen...and the pain was very intense. I am having surgery on a hiatl hernia and something on my esophagus. This is scheduled for this coming Tuesday (2-25-14). Will I have to postpone my surgery if I have an infection in my jaw? Thank You for any help you could offer
Posted Sat, 22 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Better to postpone surgery in presence infection. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to Healthcaremagic. I went through your query and understood your concerns. Redness in jaw line could be a physiological response to trauma caused during treatment on jaw. I usually prefer to start antibiotic after surgical procedure in mouth, as its more prone to get infected.If you are already on antibiotic treatment chances infection are less. Analgesic with anti inflamatory medication will help to relieve your symptom. Warm salt water gargle 3 times a day and regular gargling of mouth after each meal useful reduce chances of infection. Other important thing is, if your surgery is planned through endoscope through mouth, then need to be more concerned about it, as endoscope may affect healing of gum peeling treatment. Sudden onset of jaw swelling not responding to anti inflamatory medication goes in more favour of infection. If you have rise in temperature and worsening of pain shows infection of wound.Examination of mouth by qualified doctor helps to differentiate infection or normal response to wound. Presence of pus or increasing redness favour towards infection. In presence of infection better to postpone surgery for better results. Hope this information helpful to you. Feel free to ask further related query. I will be glade to answer them. Wish you a good health. Good luck for your surgery. Regards