Will I have problems getting pregnant? Pelvic pain. Report says heterogeneous septate uterus.

my recent doctor report indicates:
heterogeneous uterus with mild septate appearance.
Free fluid cul-de-sac (2.0cm) and small fluid collection in the right adnexa (0.9cm)
There is a hetergeneous uteine echotexture.
gave the uterus measurements (8.8 x 4.6 x 6.8 cm) and indicated "with a mild septate appearance".
Unremarkable bilateral ovaries, unremarkable endometrium (7.0mm), no evidence of uthrine fibroid.

What does all this mean? will i have problems getting pregnant?
I am having pain on the right side pelvic area (for a several weeks now). What other test should I have done to determine what is going on?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query!

A septate uterus refers to a structural anomaly of the uterus in which a septum or band like structure is present in the upper most part of the uterus, i.e. the fundus.
This does not affect your chances of getting pregnant. But the incidence of spontaneous abortions and preterm labor are higher in patients with septate uterus. I would suggest that you see your treating gynecologist whenever you wish to conceive.

Further, free fluid in cul-de-sac could be due to a host of reasons like pelvic inflammatory disease, ovarian cysts, ovarian cancer, blunt trauma, endometriosis amongst others.

As I believe that more information can help a physician arrive at a better diagnosis, I would request you to answer the following questions to help me cue on the likely diagnosis:

1. Do you have any complaints like fever, crampy abdominal pain or vaginal discharge?
2. Do you experience crampy pain in your abdomen during your periods? If yes, have you always been experiencing this or is it a recent phenomenon?
3. Have you been losing any weight or have decreased appetite?
4. Do you have intermenstrual bleeding or post coital bleeding?

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Will I have problems getting pregnant? Pelvic pain. Report says heterogeneous septate uterus. 16 hours later
1. no fever pr vaginal discharge. Had some cramping yeterday for no reason
2. I usually do not have any pain during periods. Maybe once a year.
3. Not losing weight or no loss of appetite.
4. no intermenstrual or post coital bleeding.

when i have the pelvic pain...sometime it seems like is extends to the upper right part of my leg??

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later

Thanks for reverting.

The pelvic pain could be possibly due to pelvic inflammatory disease or endometriosis. It is sometimes felt in the upper part of the leg as both areas have the same nerve supply. I would suggest that you consult your gynecologist who will be able to evaluate you and prescribe appropriate therapy.

Treatment of pelvic inflammatory disease is using antibiotics like metronidazole, tetracyclines and fluoroquinolones. Treatment of endometriosis involves hormonal therapy. These are prescription drugs and can be obtained after you consult your gynecologist.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.