Will I have normal menstrual cycle after discontinuing meprate?

Question
Hi, I have had a mascarriage after 8 weeks of iui pregnancy on 23rd sep.i skipped my periods for month of october and on doctor's advise i took meprate 10 mg and got my periods in november.i again took meprate in december to get my periods.can i leave taking that tablet now in month of january,will the periods come on their own? to add to the above it was a medical abortion done as the beaby's heartbeat did not come even after 8 weeks 2 days.on that day, it bled for 2 days and stopped and i was discharged on normal grounds and asked to wait to get my next regular period cycle to come.i am planning again for iui this month hence please advise should i wait for normal periods to ome or should i take meprate?
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Yes you have to leave the tablet and let the normal physiology take its course. It is unusual (but can happen) to not get spontaneous periods after medical termination of pregnancy (MTP). It can happen as an adverse effect of MTP itself or as a result of stress etc. Thus I would advice you to not get stressed out. The irregularity should settle down on its own. Menstrual cycle happens as a result of cyclical female hormones being produced in the body. If you take meprate (progesterone) that is a female hormone externally, the internal rhythm of hormones will not get settled. Thus I would suggest that you wait for the periods to come this month. Let me know if I can assist you further. Dr Vaishalee