Will Ecosprin harm the fetus?

hello doctor, am in the seventh week of my pregnancy, i have history of abortions before.hence i was advised ecospirin 75 by my gyn doc. is there any side effect to it? will it lead to cleft lip or palate to my baby?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 56 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. Ecosprin contains aspirin which is a form of non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. You have been prescribed Ecospirin 75 mg which is a very low dose of ecosprin as the full dose if 325 mg tablets. Taking aspirin or ecospirin throughout your pregnancy may affect your baby's growth and slightly increase your risk of a placental abruption but this is when you take full dose of aspirin.

Most experts believe low-dose aspirin therapy is safe during pregnancy and infact low dose aspirin is often prescribed in women with a history of miscarriage or in pregnant women with a condition called antiphospholipid syndrome who have to take a low dose of aspirin in addition to a drug called heparin. Antiphospholipid syndrome is diagnosed in women who have certain antibodies in their blood and who also have a history of blood clots or some types of pregnancy problems.

Taking a prescribed low dose of aspirin helps to prevent the clots from forming. This treatment can dramatically reduce the risk of miscarriage and is useful for preventing miscarriage. The main undesirable side effects of aspirin are gastrointestinal ulcers, stomach bleeding, and tinnitus.

Regarding cleft lip and palate, in most cases, the cause of cleft lip and cleft palate is unknown but chances are increased if a sibling, parent, or relative has had the problem. The causes mainly include genetic and environmental causes (cigarette smoke, alcohol, illicit drugs and certain viruses). Medications like anti-seizure/anticonvulsant medications, acne medications containing Accutane and methotrexate have been associated with increased risk of cleft lip/ palate in fetus.

Relax, you can take low dose aspirin as prescribed.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.