Will Duromine show up on a blood test for thyroid after four days?

Average

Question

if i take a duromine tablet now will it show up on a blood test for my thyroid in 4 days?
My understanding is its out of your system in 48hrs.. is this correct?
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 33 minutes later
Hello

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

Duromine is the commercial trade name for Phentermine. It is a psychostimulant drug of the phenethylamine class, with pharmacology similar to amphetamine. It is used medically as an appetite suppressant. Detection period for this substance is 2 to 5 days.

The detection time of phentermine in different biological samples were as follows: for blood it is within 0.50 to 48 h with a peak detection time at 4 h, for urine it is within 2 to 148 h with a peak detection time at 64 h and for hair it is within 7 to 42 d with a peak detection time at 21 d and a peak. This is following use of High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) test with using UV detector. It can be detected using Radioimmunoassay of Hair.

Thyroid function tests (TFTs) is a collective term for blood tests used to check the function of the thyroid. A TFT panel typically includes thyroid hormones such as thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH, thyrotropin) and thyroxine (T4), and triiodothyronine (T3).

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer

Follow-up: Will Duromine show up on a blood test for thyroid after four days? 7 minutes later
Will it affect my t4 reading if i take it on on friday and have a thyroid test on the monday or tuesday?

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 30 minutes later
Hello
Good to hear from you.

Phentermine should not be taken in person with overactive thyroid and you should inform the consulting doctor if you are taking the drug and you have a thyroid disorder.

But as such there are no information being provided whether it affects the thyroid test or not. As no information is there about it's effect on thyroid test, it is unlikely that it will have significant effect on the test.

Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Will Duromine show up on a blood test for thyroid after four days? 17 minutes later
That doesnt even make sense. how can Phentermine not have an effect on the thyroid.

and i have hasimotos which is slow thyroid...

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 27 minutes later
Hello
Good to hear from you.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis is a condition caused by inflammation of the thyroid gland. It is an autoimmune disease, which means that the body inappropriately attacks the thyroid gland--as if it was foreign tissue.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis is one of the most common cause of hypothyroidism.

Modest weight gain is one of the most common symptom of hypothyroidism and to address this i think the phentermine being prescribed.

Wish you good health.