Ask a Urologist   »  

Why is my underwear damp? Doesn't smell like urine, clear and sticky. What is causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 46yr. old male who has recently(within the last 18 months) have noticed that my underwear is very damp. The dampness seems to have increased and it doesn't smell like urine. It is clear, and slightly sticky. What could be causing this and what should I do?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Dampness of the underwear with no urinary smell or urinary incontinence could be due to the penile discharge.
Now in your case, first we need to determine whether the leakage is due to semen or simple prostatic fluid which may discharge even when there is no sexual stimulation.

A good fresh sample should be collected and taken to a urologist for examination. If no sperm are present, it still could be fluid either from the prostate or seminal vesicles. In that case, inflammation of the prostate needs to be ruled out from a urologist.

A culture of the expressed prostatic secretions (EPS) can help in ruling out or confirming the diagnosis. A test named as Prostate Specific Antigen (PSA) test can also help as PSA is raised in Prostatis.

A Urologist can diagnose the condition by digital examination also. If prostatitis is diagnosed then specific treatment is planned which may include a course of antibiotics.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.