Why is my child suffering from nausea and anxiety issues?

My 14 year old daughter has been suffering for some time from nausea in the mornings. It started about 3 years ago and she had sporadic incidents which lasted for 2 or 3 days at a time. The pattern is she wakes up feeling nausea and sometimes has dry heaves. She can't move, drink or eat anything. The nausea passes by noon or so and she is fine for the rest of the day. This fall it has been worse and she is experiencing this at least 2 days a week. She has had blood work and an ultrasound, is seeing a counsellor for possible anxiety issues. It doesn't seem to be improving and I am wondering what we should be doing next. Obviously she is missing a lot of school. She is very well adjusted, involved in activities, outgoing and is seemingly happy. Her teachers say that there don't seem to be any stress indicators at school. This leads us to think it is a physical reaction to something but we can't identify what. it does seem to be worse if she doesn't get enough sleep and she is rarely sick on weekends, although she does likely get more sleep on weekends. What can you suggest?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 3 hours later
Brief Answer: GI/thyroid problems should be excluded.. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have read the medical history of your daughter and could say that there are many factors contributed to being nauseated in the morning. I am glad to come to know that your daughter is very involved in here school activities. It is good that she sleeps more in the weekends and have more rest to get well. Now, she is only 14 years old and full of hormonal changes. If she did not get her periods until now, her body is being prepared for the upcoming ones. Or in case, she had the periods at the time she feels nauseated, it could be also related to menstrual hormonal changes. Psychological patterns can also contribute in her symptoms and I am also glad to know that she is scheduled with a psychologist. I'd suggest to do : - abdominal ultrasound - examination of stool for ova/parasites - upper endoscopy - measure the thyroid hormones to rule out GI problems such as gastritis/GERD and or parasitic infections and/or thyroid problems that can trigger the symptoms your daughter is experiencing. If everything is ok, then, hormonal changes are to blame and should follow with psychologist. Hope it answered to your query! Dr.Klerida Feel free to ask me other questions you might have!