Why is dydrogestrone prescribed for low lying placenta?

Mar 2016

Hi i am 14 weeks pre! My gynae prescribed dydrogestrone as scan showed a low lying placenta? No h/o of spotting! Then why was i prescribed! Is it safe
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: SAFE. MEDICINE IS GIVEN TO AVOID MISCARRIAGE. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us. 1) Low lying placenta at 14 weeks is less significant but you have to be more careful to avoid pregnancy loss or vaginal bleeding (APH). Dydrogesterone is progesterone supplement which supports your pregnancy and prevents natural miscarriage or pregnancy loss. Most of the cases with low lying placenta move upwards over the time or during 3rd trimester. As uterus is enlarged, the lower part of the uterus also grows and stretches, taking the placenta with it to move upwards. Though, in 0.5% of cases, the placenta doesn’t move up with the uterus and antepartum hemorrhage (like placenta previa) may develop in late 3rd trimester with related risk to baby. 2) At this stage, you must avoid long journey, heavy work, sexual intercourse, too much bending, high heal shoe, uneven surface, more ups & downs etc. You will take adequate bed rest and do periodic check up with ultrasound scan for complete evaluation. Next scan is to be done around 20 weeks. Hope, I have answered your query with my experience. Let me know, if you need any clarification. Wish your good health and successful motherhood. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through WWW.WWWW.WW