Why does my wife have pain and burning sensation in her vagina?

my wife having a burning sensation and pain in her vagina, this problem is after marriage. we have been trying for a child from past 4 months. please suggest if we should consult XXXXXXX doctor.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later
Hello Mahendrarajsoni,

Burning and pain in the vagina is caused due to inflammation or infection of the vagina, genitals and Urinary tract. The common reasons are Urinary tract infections, fungal infection, allergy to any clothing, condom, changes in hormones etc.

The treatment depends on the cause and it is completely curable.

Usually antifungal ointments containing Cotrimazole will provide relief but if it is severe then a combination of one or two medications along with it is required.

Some measures:

1)Wear loose cotton underwear and avoid tight fitting clothes.

2)Avoid tampoon use, bubble bath, douching and wash the undergarments in an antiseptic solution.

3)Wash the genitals twice with antibacterial soap and water.

4)Keep the area dry and can apply Neosporin powder after consulting your doctor.

Regarding the conception if after having regular intercourse that is on ovulation days(fertile days which are 9 to 16 days of cycle)if a couple is not successful even after 6 months then it is advisable to get a complete examination done along with USG scan, hormonal work up and partners' Sperm count analysis. If there is any infection that can also affect conceiving.

Have regular intercourse on ovulation days.

Your wife can keep a pillow under the hips during intercourse for better penetration.

Do not get up immediately after the act.

Have healthy nutritious diet.

Drink lots of water.

Consider visiting a Gynaecologist for pelvic examination and if required she would advise vaginal swab test which would help in ruling out the cause of itching.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up query.

Follow-up: Why does my wife have pain and burning sensation in her vagina? 2 hours later
Hello Dr. Mitaly

Thank you for your response. Do you suggest we should stop trying for child unless she is cured with these inflammations?

because this problem is there from past 4 months. she complains of these burning inflammations after intercourse every-time we try.

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 4 minutes later
Hello Mahendrarajsoni,

Thanks for the follow up

It will be better to get the infection cured and then try for pregnancy as during pregnancy the chances of catching infections are more and that might also be preventing her from conceiving.
It seems she is having vaginitis(vaginal inflammation) which is aggravated by intercourse so consider getting it cured completely.

I sincerely hope this helps!