Why does my son have a low weight and a short height compared to his age mates?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I have a son. He is now 10yrs old, weighs 18 kgs and height is 4feet. He has nomal other activities like studies, games etc.. What could be the problem?

Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 21 hours later

Your son has both a low weight for age and a low height for age but his weight for height seems adequate.

The reason for such a condition could be constitutional or familial short stature, nutritional deficiency or malabsorption, or a hormonal or endocrine pathology.
There is a long list of rare possibilities which seem unlikely in an otherwise healthy child.

To access your child completely it would be best to consult a pediatric endocrinologist or atleast a pediatrician for thorough history, examination and if needed few blood tests like complete blood counts, thyroid profile , iron and vitamin assays etc..

I would also like to know your childs birth history birth weight , height and weight of both parents, childs diet, frequency of illness if any etc. for a clearer picture so that I can guide you accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for your follow up queries.
Follow-up: Why does my son have a low weight and a short height compared to his age mates? 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply. To add further, recently we had been to a paediatrician, who asked for CBP and Bone age X-Ray. CBP is normal and Bone age X-ray report says skelelal age to be 7-10 yrs. What is the interpretation. Is there a possibility of Growth harmone deficiency? What are the symptoms of growth harmon deficiency?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Thanks for the follow up query.

The x XXXXXXX shows normal bone age which suggest that there is no delay in bone growth so hormone sufficiency is unlikely.

Growth hormone or GH deficiency is due to low levels of growth hormone secreted from the pituitary gland in the brain.

The symptoms would be delayed growth in terms of height, say not growing even an inch or two in a whole year.the weight would be less too as compared to child of same age, the teething may be delayed, the bone growth and puberty may also be delayed.

It can be checked by xray for bone age and hormone assays.

But the most important predictor for you to find out if your child has a growth problem would be plotted growth chart of your child.

These growth charts would be available on the internet or with your pediatrician on which your childs birth weight and height are plotted followed by plotting the same each year to show a curve , when joined.If this curve shows increasing trend and in normal range then your child is normal.

This comparison of growth in previous years will show your doctor if there is any decline in your childs growth.So feel free to get it done by your pediatrician.

But since Cbp and xray is normal, I dont think your child can have GH deficiency.

Hope I have answered your query.