Why does my penis become limp before sex?

Question
I am 48 years of age. Recently my penis is erect during foreplay but goes limp before intercourse. testosterone level is 471 and free testosterone 81 pg/ml. I am able to get an erection during foreplay and masturbation. This is with my wife of 15 years
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 28 minutes later
Hello Jayachans,

The typical male testosterone level is between 250ng/dl to 850 ng/dl. In a 50 year old man normal testosterone levels are around 600 ng/dl. So your testosterone levels are slight low but not very low. Although it’s normal for testosterone levels to drop as men age, low testosterone can cause loss of libido, erectile dysfunction, mood problems, fatigue, and sleep disturbances.

What you are having is erectile dysfunction and the cause needs to be evaluated. One of them can be the slightly low testosterone levels at your age. You can consult a urologist and get prescribed testosterone replacement therapy. Testosterone replacement therapy can be prescribed as an intramuscular injection usually given on a biweekly basis, as a patch or gel placed on the skin, or as putty that is applied to the gums of the mouth.

If still the symptoms of erection dysfunction like losing erection just before intercourse persist then we have to rule out other medical conditions. Causes may be psychological, smoking, alcohol, illicit drugs and medical conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart or thyroid conditions, poor circulation, depression, spinal cord and neurological causes.

Since you are having erections during foreplay and masturbation, so it can be psychological due to performance linked anxiety. It can be due to poor communication with your partner, unrealistic sexual expectations, which make sex a task rather than a pleasure, negative feelings about non performance, smoking, alcohol and sometimes illicit drugs. Eat nutritious healthy food, exercise regularly and cut down on smoking or alcohol if you are taking it.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.