Why does my daughter get frequent stomach pain?

Pediatrician
Question
my little girl has had this about 4 time that i can recall, over a period of a year. she gets pains in her tummy and then is sick many times (about 12 ) and then after about 12-18 hours it passes and after a few more hours she can eat. Nobody else in the family ever catches it and as the symptoms each time are so similar i am convinced its not just a bug. she has had this today, christmas and either once or twice in between and each time she hasnt eaten anything unusual that we dont eat often anyway
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 4 hours later

The stomach pain that kids get often at this age ( below 6 years) is due to 3 issues: 1. Acidity 2. Constipation and colic 3. Worm infection.

Regarding your description, I assume that pain is more in center may be little more on left side. When she gets pain, I assume that she only gets pains and not severe pains (that make her lie down and shout like anything). It does come in between meals and doesn't always follow unusual meals.

Assuming that she doesn't have constipation, the above description fits for an increased acidity, which will respond only to antacid syrups say upto a dose of 10 ml , within 20 minutes. Encourage liberal water drinking. At times giving yogurt diet for few weeks does help mellowing the acidity.

Write back if your description differs, so my suggestion can be precise. Pains like appendix may come similar but often they will be more down on right side of the tummy and may vomit often.

Regards.

Follow-up: Why does my daughter get frequent stomach pain? 55 minutes later
I dont think you have understood the symptoms.

she is ten years old almost eleven.

between the episodes she is normal and healthy and has no tummy problems

this has happened about 4 times in the last year

she starts with pains in the low centre of her tummy - she does not scream with pain but they are quite severe. then she begins to feel nauseous and then she is sick a lot maybe ten times over a number of hours. she has no other syptoms so no diorehaa or temperature. then around 18-20 hours after it started she is perfectly healthy and has no problems, eats well, has no tummy issues.

it is not constipation

if it was acidity wouldnt it be there more generally rather just on 4 isolated days over a very long period with perfect health in between?

i dont see how it could be worms either - where would she get such a thing and anyway dont worms make them lose weight?

can you rethink please

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 5 hours later

=== as the information given was inadequate, i have to assume the commoner issues.

she is ten years old almost eleven.
=== I wasnt aware of it. The words used were, my little girl. Its very important to disclose as much details. Half info can be XXXXXXX

=== this sitution is often with colics and acidity but not often with constipation.

=== thats fine.

she starts with pains in the low centre of her tummy - she does not scream with pain but they are quite severe.
== if she doesnt scream, i wont call it a colic.

then she begins to feel nauseous and then she is sick a lot maybe ten times over a number of hours.
== this is common with acidity related issues.
she has no other syptoms so no diorehaa or temperature. then around 18-20 hours after it started she is perfectly healthy and has no problems, eats well, has no tummy issues.
=== thats fine.

it is not constipation
== good.

=== need not. it depends and varies in individuals to a great extent.

== again its a chance. if you dont see worms in stools, thats good.all worms wont cause weight loss. All worms cant be suspected by parents.

can you rethink
== sure. there are thousands of causes of tummy pains (including urinary infection --- again each of these need not be felt or suspected by patient or parents; its doctors experience of seeing such cases that makes them zero down on some diagnosis on priority),
I have to zero down on commoner and commonest issues with the given information. Most such causes may need extensive tests. but given the above description, the child wont need any tests right now. one may need to wait for next episode and see whether it does respond to antacids or anticolics.

Now with your added information of age, she fits again in acidity on priority. So its ipmerative to get her on acidity preventive and therapeutic measures, before thinking of any cause.

Waiting for your further queries. welcome.