Why does my BP soar when I get reccuring 3 auras?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
In the last month Ive had 3 auras ( blind spot then colorful zigzag lines that I can see with my eyes closed) Ive had them in the past but never so frequent. They scare me bad and then my bp soars up to 190 with my heartrate 120 . Why is this happening XXXX
Posted Tue, 14 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. If you have had these auras before, it is possible that they could be related. The most common cause for visual auras, as in your case, is migraine. The frequency of auras can increase, if there are triggers such as lack of sleep, stress or tension, delay in eating food, tiredness, etc. The other possibility could be a minor partial seizure, originating in visual area (occipital lobe of brain). If you do not find any aggravating factor for migraine in your case, it may be worthwhile doing an MRI of brain. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: Why does my BP soar when I get reccuring 3 auras? 8 minutes later
Yes these have happened before but usually 1 or 2 in a short span and then years between them . I do stress a lot and I am bad about skipping meals Ive just never had three in a short span . I am afraid to drive or go out now fearing one will hit and I will not be able to see well to drive. It starts out as blurriness I alway go to clean my glasses thinking they are dirty and then starts the light parade and vision seems almost tunneled . I see red blue zig zags and spinning sparkly things the zig zags seem to go to the perephial vision . These last 15-25 mins and I always seem to panic even when I try not to raising my blood pressure to 190 and my heart to 120 and then the bp stays high for hours after maybe due to my overthinking what just happened. My Dad had migraines but also a mild epilipsy which I wonder now if it was really aura because that was in the 60s but he did pass from athroslorosis

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Yes, I agree that most likely, these are auras of migraine. Simple reasons could act as triggers for auras, and sometimes, there could be no obvious trigger. Also, I agree with you that thinking or worrying about them is pushing the BP and pulse rate higher. There are some medications that work for both migraine and epilepsy (the basic pathophysiology for both are also similar), such as topiramate and divalproex. You may use one of them. However, in view of your family history (father's atherosclerosis), I would also advise you to get an MRI of brain done. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Thankyou and one last question if you dont mind me taking up more of your time. Im agoraphobic and I believe sensitive to XXXXXXX injections. Do the have to use contrast for the MRI . I do have an appt with neuro in Feb we have long wait times here for specialists . Thank you for responding

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: It is absolutely fine, and it is my pleasure to be of some help to you. So, you can ask me more questions! To look for most abnormalities on MRI (such as atherosclerosis, small blood clots, etc), a XXXXXXX or contrast injection is not needed. Only for brain tumor or infections, XXXXXXX is needed (we are not suspecting these in your case). In India, you could see a specialist on the same day and if you were here, I would have seen you tomorrow. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)