Why do i have spots on my throat?

ENT Specialist
Question
What could cause this spots in my throat? my throat does not hurt at all
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 32 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. The white spots at the back of the throat in the image are part of a common condition known as 'granular pharyngitis'. Congestion, visible blood vessels and hypertrophied islands of lymphoid tissue giving a 'cobblestone' appearance are characteristic of granular pharyngitis. It tends to make the throat sensitive.

2. Since there is no pain, it may be a chronic granular pharyngitis. Acute granular pharyngitis is caused by infections. Chronic granular pharyngitis may be due to a Post Nasal Drip (PND) secondary to Sinusitis, allergy to food, smoke or alcohol and acid reflux (you also have a coated tongue).

3. You should get a doctor to examine and prescribe medication such as an antibiotic (if your doctor suggests), anti-inflammatory and a medicated gargle / oral rinse. Sometimes this is a recurrent or residual viral infection.

4. You may get a throat swab done. Avoid sour, spicy and cold foodstuff.

5. If this does not respond to medical treatment, the lymphoid follicles may be cauterized with radio-frequency ablation or a co-ablation device.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Why do i have spots on my throat? 11 minutes later
Does it look bad ? What type of rinse/gargle do u think the doctor would prescribe ?

What causes the white tongue ? I don't smoke at all or drink.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 29 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

1. A 'within normal limits' description for the throat, mouth and tongue encompasses a wide variety appearances. This does not look bad, nor are there any severe symptoms. You may use a tongue cleaner gently. Use a medicated gargle such as Betadine or Chlorhexidine ( Peridex / Periogard), anti-inflammation and anti-allergic medication. Discuss this with your physician.

2. The most common cause of a coated tongue and halitosis (bad breath) is pungent foodstuff, tongue, gum and dental disease. Get a Dental opinion.

3. The tongue is often heavily coated with bacteria and fungi which emit the foul odor causing chemicals. This is often associated with indigestion and acid reflux. Milk products and digestion problems cause white or yellow coatings on the tongue. Dehydration may also cause this coating.

4. Get a physician's opinion. Diabetes must be ruled out.

5. Get a videolaryngosocpy done. Acid reflux is also a leading cause. Nasal and sinus disease may also be the source of infection.

6. Your physician may advise tests to rule out lung, liver and kidney disease.

7. Kindly let me know the results of your tests. This will help in suggesting further treatment.

Regards.

Follow-up: Why do i have spots on my throat? 4 hours later
You said to have diabetes ruled out. What does the diabetes cause ?

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. Diabetes reduces immunity and makes a person more susceptible to infections.

Regards.