Why do I need anastrozole? What if did not take it because of the side effects?

why do I need anastrozole? What if I choose not to take it because of the side effects. They are making my life miserable.
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It reduces the growth of the tumor

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Anastrozole is used in the treatment of breast cancer.

When breast cancer is diagnosed, doctors check to see if the cancer has receptors to the hormones estrogen or progesterone. If these receptors are present it means that the cancer would grow in response to one of these hormones.

This allows the doctors to know if they can use medications to block these hormone and therefore reduce the growth of the cancer.

Anastrozole prevents the formation of estrogen in the body.

By reducing the amount of estrogen, it would then potentially reduce or prevent any further growth of the cancer.

This is the reason it is used.

There are potential side effects but it would be best to speak to your doctor about the specific side effects that you are experiencing because he or she can give you medication to treat them appropriately.

The most common effects in some persons are nausea, rash, hair thinning, hot flushes, vaginal dryness, headaches, joint pain, tiredness.
All of these can be addressed by the use of other therapies.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions