Why do I hear murmur of the blood vessels?

I have high blood pressure. My doctor is trying to bring it down. I am taking several blood pressure meds. Though my bp is getting better, it's already taken 8 months. A problem for me is I can hear loud sounds, like squish, squish in my head. It sounds exactly like blood pressure. These sounds have gone away after several weeks of medication. However the sounds I hear on the right side of my neck have not gone away and occasionally bother me. It worries me (Also I do not think my doctor believes me.) I worry that my carotid artery on the right side is having some trouble and that I may have a stroke soon. Two questions: has any other person(s) ever heard these sounds? And could this be leading up to a stroke? Vi
Posted Mon, 10 Feb 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Need more info Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query I understand your concern, however in order to help you better I need to know more information about you. Yes, uncontrolled blood pressure can lead to ringing noises in the ear 1. What is your current blood pressure range? 2. What are the medications you are on right now? 3. Any loss of hearing ? 4. Have you undergone any tests for the ringing in the ear? 5. Do you have trouble sleeping? Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply Regards
Follow-up: Why do I hear murmur of the blood vessels? 22 hours later
You must have misread my question. I do not have ringing in the ear. I do not hear any sounds in my ear and I have perfect hearing. I can hear my blood pressure in my head...loudly. I can hear the blood pressure in my neck...clearly. I hear it in my head, not my ear.If I had ringing in my ear, I would have asked my doctor about it. The sound I hear is NOT a ringing. It is the sound blood pressure makes when it is amplified. My current BP is anywhere from 139/109 to 148/88 to 123/71 to 177/89. Meds are Bystolic,10mg.,Losartin HCTZ 100 12.5 and Amlodipine Beselate 2.5mg. No hearing loss and yes I sleep well with Ambien. I do not know of having any tests for ringing in the ear since I don't have that. I am aware that people don't talk of hearing their own blood coursing through their veins, but truly I do. In my head. And I am not crazy...just an ordinary person. I want to know if this signifies a coming stroke?
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 20 hours later
Brief Answer: Hello Detailed Answer: I am sorry, I guess I did understand your query differently. Thanks for clarifying it to me. It is not unusual to hear murmur of the blood vessels if there is a significant stenosis of the carotid artery. I advice you to undergo doppler of the carotid artery to know for sure. Carotid artery stenosis can cause stroke, so I advice to get the work up done as soon as possible. Do not engage in strenuous activities or travel till then I am sorry for the short delay in my reply, I was on call at my hospital I wish you good health Regards