Why do I get slight bleeding during orgasm?

Hello, after rubbing myself to produce orgasm there was bleeding. I have done this a lot and wish to know if it is a problem or if it is due to excess rubbing. I do not insert any fingers into the vagina. I more or less rub my legs together whilst on the bed without actual penetration. There was a fair bit of blood. There has been a small amount of spotting before but it's not common. I have never had sex.

Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 11 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

This blood could be from two sources:

1. There could be some "micro-tears" around the clitorus. This could occur from the rubbing and with the increased blood flow to the area during orgasm, they could bleed. They would also be hard to see potentially

2. There could be some uterine bleeding associated with orgasm, as the uterus "contracts" with orgasm. This might vary depending on where you are in your cycle.

I would take a break until there has been no bleeding for a week, and then if this recurs with resumption of this activity, then a visit to an OB/GYN would be appropriate.

Please ask if you have more questions, OTHERWISE PLEASE RATE MY ANSWER!!
Follow-up: Why do I get slight bleeding during orgasm? 8 minutes later
Thank you for your fast and speedy reply.

It is most likely not micro-tears. The blood definitely comes from my vagina.

I was also wondering if it was possible to overstimulate to the point where orgasm was decreased to such an extent that the activity was pretty much pointless. Would sensitivity return with prolonged abstaining of the activity, or would it be unrecoverable?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 53 minutes later
There is such a thing as "too much". I think that anything in moderation is okay - for example, perhaps just not every day.

With regard to the function of the area, the sensitivity might be less apparent with overstimulation, and it SHOULD return with a break. It would be very unusual for this to be 'unrecoverable'.

After taking a break, as I described above, if the bleeding recurs you need to schedule a visit with your doctor.

Good luck!