Why do I get dizzy when I turn my head?

Question
I get dizzy whenever I turn my head far left
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Dizziness and vertigo (this is the feeling that you are moving or spinning) are common.
They can occur as a result of (1)problems related to the inner ear,
(2)problems related to the central nervous system (persons with a history of migraines, anything affecting the blood vessels to/in the brain causing decreased supply) or
(3)be related to changes in blood pressure (people who feel dizzy on standing because of a decrease in blood pressure)

The most common is problems with the inner ear.There are 4 main conditions affecting the inner ear that can cause dizziness/vertigo.
One of them is BPPV which stands for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. It basically is dizziness /vertigo that occurs for a few seconds only when the person is in a particular position like you turning your head to the left.
Treatment involves the use of specific medication for a short time that has to be provided via prescription and the performance of certain maneuvers at home that reduce the symptoms.

To diagnose the exact cause of your symptoms your doctor will examine your head, neck and ears.
In some persons , depending on the presence of additional symptoms, investigations may be required.

In most persons, it is self limiting.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions