Ask a Dentist   »  

Why do I get black spots on the tongue and inside the mouth ?

Question
age 46 years,height 5feet 2inches,weight 82 kg.
medical history-sugar in blood taking gp 1 tablet,for bp talking nebistar 5 tablet, for heart taking loprin 75 tablet, for fatty lever taking ursocol sr-450, lever enlarged to 22.5
some black spots on tongue and tongue looks from some front part like it has been rubbed, some black part escepicially in right side of inside of mouth also some redness is visible,
sometime we apply betagel cream on it. it has been since two years, patient says she noticed it after extracting a teeth from a charitable hospital,actually their were some sharp edges of teeth inside more, many of which she has extracted during last year.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in TMJ

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. There area few causes which can cause black spots on tongue and inside mouth and this needs to be evaluated. These include:

1)     Changes in the normal bacteria or yeast content of the mouth following antibiotic use
2)     Poor oral hygiene, drinking a lot of coffee or tea and smoking
3)     Taking medications that contain the chemical bismuth or using mouthwash that contains peroxide, witch XXXXXXX or menthol
4)     Repeated trauma to the tongue and corners of mouth ( maybe the cause in this patient).
5)     Fungal infection like Candida infection

I suggest you to get an examination done from your doctor and get a KOH examination of the scrapings done to rule out any fungal infection. A biopsy of the skin scrapings should also be done to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Why do I get black spots on the tongue and inside the mouth ? 23 hours later
how we can know whether it happened due to trauma of tongue or not, and what can be done to produce helpful bacteria

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 8 hours later
Hello again,

When a biopsy of the skin scrapings is done, then histopathology examination of the sample will reveal whether it is due to medical conditions, fungal infections or trauma.

Further fungal infections can be diagnosed by KOH examination of the skin scrapings.

For increasing the helpful bacteria, probiotics can be taken. The best known of the probiotics are the lactobacilli, a number of species of which (acidophilus, bulgaricus, casei, and sporogenes) reside in the human intestine. You can get any probiotic containing the lactobacilli group. Even plain and flavored yoghurt and curd are good.

Follow-up: Why do I get black spots on the tongue and inside the mouth ? 13 hours later
doctor XXXXXXX some day we want to contact you at your clinic or residence, please, whenever we visit delhi, please give us our address. secondly till than than please suggest her some special diet or medicine for the time being, we live in jalandhar city of punjab. i appreciate that you attended us with special care and studied the case by giving your valuable time. now she sometime apply betagel cream there

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later
Hello Mr XXXXXXX

Thanks for your kind words. You can contact me thorugh this forum or personally at Medanta, Gurgaon.