Why do I feel like rotating while moving head?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
when i suddenly move my head from right to left during sleeping or bed only i feel everthy thing is rotating means every items rotating for just few seconds.During standing position this does not happen.
when i suddenly stand up from bed i feel the same problem for second.during sleeping i dont comfortable to move my head from right to left.if i use two pillow set during sleeping and move my head from right to left then there is no problem.kindly advise us.
Posted Mon, 12 Nov 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query on Healthcare magic.

Your symptoms are most likely due to BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). Other rare causes could be problems in back of brain (lack of blood flow, etc), cervical spondylitis, and middle ear.

Treatment is mainly medical with medicines such as piracetam and betahistine.

In addition, physiotherapy exercises are useful in preventing the recurrence of the symptoms.

Please consult a neurologist for evaluation and treatment

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad

Follow-up: Why do I feel like rotating while moving head? 2 hours later
sir, you are great i have a problem of cervical spondylitis but in minor nature. it is true that after regular excercises this problem slightly improves but for time being.when i take cintigo or vertigo tablet on recommendations of orthopedician my problem disappear till the effect of medicine.
Now you tell me is there any chances of cronic problem in future.what is the permanent solution of my problem.as you mentioned about BPPV is there any medical test for the same.
kindly advise us.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 37 minutes later

Thank you for getting back with more details.

There is very little chance of this problem becoming chronic.

For best results, regular exercises are very useful. These include neck extension and vestibular rehabilitation exercises. These exercises can be learnt under the guidance of a good physiotherapist.

There are no medical tests for BPPV; it is diagnosed on the basis of symptoms and clinical examination by a doctor.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad