Why are my stools grey ?

Why are my stools grey
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Radhika 29 minutes later

You have provided me with good information.

Bile salts from the liver give stool its brownish color. If there is decreased bile output, stool is much lighter in color.

Stool that is pale or grey may be caused by insufficient bile output due to conditions such as cholecystitis, gallstones, giardia parasitic infection, hepatitis, chronic pancreatitis, or cirrhosis.

Other causes of pale stool are the use of antacids that contain aluminum hydroxide. None of the medications you are taking causes Grey stools.

If you have any symptoms like yellow skin, eyes, dark colored urine, pain abdomen, vomiting, you will need to get examined by a Physician. You should get a Routine stool examination done.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.