Why are my blood glucose levels random? Can delayed periods cause this?

I am 45 woman, not diabetic, all previous hospital blood tests were normal. I randomly check it with a blood glucose moniter, and am usually below 6 mmol/l. However today when I got up I decided to checkmy blood sugar, and it was 6.8, which is surprising to me. It remained high all day, 2 hours after a meal of 2 chicken and cheese sandwishes, I was at 8.3. What is going on? Last week I checked everything was within normal range. I'm PMSing hard, my periods are late.... can this be the cause of my high numbers today? Should I be concerned? I am scheduled for my annual blood work in a few days, should I wait until my periods are over so I don't get a falsely high result?

I also would like to know if the normal blood glucose tests we get in labs produce similar values than we have at home, or higher?

Thank you.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later

There is nothing that you actually need to worry about. Random blood glucose levels between 3.9-6.9 mmol/L are considered normal. The reading of 8.3 mmol/L was high as it was 2 hours after a meal. It reflects impaired glucose tolerance and since you are already diabetic and had a heavy meal, this can be justified.

However, I would strongly advise you to follow the dietary modification that your physician has recommended for you.

You need not wait for your periods to be over to get your lab work done as long as you keep yourself well hydrated by drinking plenty of fluid.

The methods used in laboratories are generally more accurate than the ones used by a glucometer that we use at home. However, in general, both tests produce similar results. I suggest you to also get one glycosylated hemoglobin (Hba1c) test done when you visit your lab. This is better than blood sugars alone; indicating how your sugars have been for the last 3 months. It is recommended that this test is done every 3 months in a diabetic patient.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no more follow up queries.

Follow-up: Why are my blood glucose levels random? Can delayed periods cause this? 13 hours later
Hello Doctor,

As I wrote in the first sentence, I am NOT diabetic. Always had normal glucose tests in the past. The last fasting one was in XXXXXXX 2010, and it came back at 4.9. Like I said, I am under ENORMOUS personnal stress right now, since about a year ago. Can stress elevates my blood sugar readings in the morning, when I'm at a couple of days of having my periods? Like I said, I tested at home about 3 times in the last months, and ll my readings were under 6. I have no clue what's going on, as those number are really strange for me.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 9 hours later

I am sorry, I mixed it up.

Physiological stress is known to cause Hyperglycemia (or elevated glucose levels) but this occurs in patients who are critically ill, patients who are admitted in the intensive care unit. Many women do report an elevation of blood glucose occurring from three to five days prior to the beginning of their menstrual periods. This occurs due to an increase in estrogen and progesterone levels post ovulation. Blood sugars typically return to normal levels within the first day or two after the period starts.

I would suggest that you check your blood glucose levels 2-3 days after your period starts. If the values are still abnormal, you could get fasting blood glucose and post prandial blood glucose estimation (2 hours after eating a meal) done.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if there are no further queries.