Why am I unable to hold a cup of tea or coffee without experiencing anxiety or tremors?

Psychiatrist
Question
i am unable to hold a cup of tea or coffee, with a saucer, or otherwise, without experiencing anxiety followed by tremor and spilling of the contents. why is this happenning ? and how do i get rid off this forever ?

thanx
Posted Sat, 16 Feb 2013 in Anxiety and Stress

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 30 minutes later
Hello.........
Thanks for your query. Tremors may be due to multiple reasons- anxiety disorders, drug induced, hereditary or early symptom of parkinsonism. Hence, you would require a psychiatric evaluation for anxiety disorders including neurological examination to clinch the cause. You can also try yoga/meditation/breathing relaxation exercises. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar
Neuro-Psychiatrist

Follow-up: Why am I unable to hold a cup of tea or coffee without experiencing anxiety or tremors? 8 minutes later

dear doc.

can u suggest a couple of simple practical exercises to start with ?

(and yes u r right these jerks/tremors occur mainly in social situations and not when alone)

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 10 minutes later
Hello........
Then it seems it is more like simple exercises would be to take XXXXXXX breaths, 15 at a time inhaling XXXXXXX with both nostrils and exhaling through mouth. 5 breaths should be by concentrating on abdomen, chest and nose each making a total of 15. This can be done quickly whenever in a social situation. This would bring down your anxiety. You can also request your psychiatrist for psychotherapy sessions based on exposure and response prevention or cognitive behavioural therapy as they are very effective for social anxiety.
Dr Sundar

Follow-up: Why am I unable to hold a cup of tea or coffee without experiencing anxiety or tremors? 4 minutes later

thanx doc for ur very kind advice - just a few last queries ..

can u please indicate - the correct question to ask the doctor ?
- also whether homeopathy would work as a slow and sure solution ?
should i stop tea /coffee altogether ?
does this occur due to extensive typing on keyboard of comp ?

Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
Hello........
Thanks for your query. If you want you can discontinue tea/coffee since caffeine has propensity to precipitate anxiety symptoms. With regards to homeopathy, i would be uncomfortable to comment as it is not my area of expertise. Excess keyboard typing can lead to various other issues but not tremors. You will have to report your frequency, intensity and circumstances of anxiety symptoms to your psychiatrist so that he can plan for effective intervention including psychotherapy. The physician would probe you further and you do not have to worry on the lines that you missed giving some information.
Dr Sundar
Neuro-Psychiatrist