Why am I smelling badly?

Hi, I've been having this problem or so I think that I smell bad not sure exactly what smell because I don't smell it myself but I've heard people said it stinks and my uncle told me is smell when I was young but I really don't. Understand what could it be. I shower every day, I wear clean clothes, I stopped eating meat and dairy, drink two litters of water a day, take detox baths, take probiotics, raw enzymes thinking that was the problem but I guess still think I smell bad by other peoples reaction. My friend said she doesn't smell anything but other people have said it smells like blue cheese or that it stinks. I hate going out now because I'm going to be around people and I went back to school and I feel so self conscious it is really affecting me. I cry a lot because I really don't know what the problem is. My counselor said I don't smell but others have said it stinks. Please help me!
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 53 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hello, I would be happy to help you... Detailed Answer: From what you are saying, I am assuming that the smell might be from the vagina. Given that enough people have said that they notice the smell, then I am also going to assume that it is real, and the people saying they do not notice the smell are just trying to be nice (or they cannot smell). In any case, the most common cause of a "smell" from the vagina is from a common infection called BV or bacterial vaginosis. This could easily be diagnosed by an OB/GYN and the treatment is a medication called Metrogel which is available only with a prescription. The worst thing that you can do is things like: 1. Vaginal douching 2. Any anti-bacterial soaps that might kill normal bacteria 3. The "detox" baths are probably not helping The best thing you can do: 1. Take my advice above 2. Continue using the probiotics 3. Consider a medication called Florajen - ask a pharmacist about it - it is a super-high dose probiotic I hope that this helps and good luck!
Follow-up: Why am I smelling badly? 26 minutes later
So I've had a vigina infection since I was really young? I never noticed a foul smell from down there and no one has said anything about it smelling. My armpits have had a stronger smell lately especially when I'm in the sun but I don't remember them smelling before. When I take my clothes they don't smell bad, some actually smell like my expensive perfume which I stopped using thinking that was the problem. I will go to the doctor. I have noticed after someone said something smell like blue cheese that the back of my ears get a sour smell even when I clean them. I thought maybe it was my stomach because I ate a lot of junk food but I stopped and I still feel that way. I drink 2 liters of water a day, don't eat meat anymore, and don't eat dairy... Ever since I remember Ive had stomach problems, constipated, gassy, bloated... Not as much anymore since I stopped dairy and meat but can such food affect someone's body so much?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for the followup... Detailed Answer: I had made an assumption about the source of the smell, but from what you are saying, there certainly might be multiple sources. Obviously, there might be other causes. Here is what you need to have done: 1. You need to have a thorough physical exam 2. You need labs testing that would include testing for diabetes 3. You need vaginal cultures obtained I hope that this helps.