Why am I having heavy bleeding after withdrawal of Primolut ?

I have been treated for menopause with Estradot 25 as my estrogen levels were 40 and had not menstruated for a year. After a month I had more blood tests done and my estrogen levels went to 3500!!! my specialist took me off immediately. I started bleeding soon after and bled for 25 days non stop. She then put me on Primolut for x1 a day for 3 Days and then 1/2 for 3 days to stop the bleeding. The bleeding did not stop while I was on Primolut 5mg but was light. Have been off Primolut for 2days not and have been hemorrhaging heavily and non stop for 16hrs now...worried! Help
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Primolut is a progesterone which helps in conversion of proliferative endometrium to secretory endometrium which then helps in stopping the bleeding.

Once you start taking progesterone, if you stop it after taking it for three days then it is sure to precipitate the bleeding due to additional withdrawal bleeding which has happened in your case.

Once you start taking Primolut it takes 4 to 5 days to control your bleeding gradually and then it needs to be continued in consultation with your gynaecologist to avoid haemorrhage on stopping it.
Now to get rid of your problem you need to restart primolut may be at a higher dose in consultation with your gynaecologist and continue the same without missing even a single dose.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.