Why am I having electric shock like feeling in my neck even after taking treatment and what causes pain in trapezius area?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi, AUSTRALIAN car accident april 2012, as passenger Left hand side of vehicle. On impact (4WD written off)vehicle stationary when hit from behind at impact speed 60km/hr (35mph)head turned toward driver on right. CT revealed no breaks in neck(suspected at time) Pain in neck area below, treated by acupuncture and massage, pulse treatment. anti- inflamitory and panadol forte and gym rehab. Current :-pain in the trapezius area, tight. extending to bottom of skull Right Hand side. where there is an uneasy feeling. queeziness feeling, normal head rotation movement now. ---------------------------- had electric shock feeling (ants)from neck extending to fingers, legs, toes both sides of body april 2013, and again December 2013 both lasting about 7 minutes.(no other incidence) November 2013- coincidental removal of Thyroid swelling increased thyroid Aughust-October,pressing onto the trachea, Left hand side removed , leisons and goiter/present (benign growth of 20mm) but also , new and old hemorrhage found during biopsy. The bleeding CANNOT be explained by surgeon or GP. The removal of Thyroid also took dull ache away from right hand side back of head, this too could not be explained -but Ache is returning but with more feeling.(pain no dull ache) Pressure on soft spot/or trapezee down low takes/alleviates pain. Conclusion of GP consultation today: Pain currently in neck and back of head dismissed by GP saying that i can do no more damage and what is done cannot be repaired and i should just put up with it. GP says ITS to late for any other scan to determine if car accident caused neck injury problems. GP assisting surgeon says that if I go to another Doctor and tell them I have electric shock feelings from neck down as stated they would think I have anxiety and put me on medication. (these only occurred twice) Subsequent Thyroid tests Ok , no medication needed. 1.(is it possible that car accident and not growth caused the swelling?) 2. why am I still having pain in the back of head and trapezee area again? Will I get more deteriorating problems or non like GP says.(I feel it getting worse) 3. is there anything else I should look or get check out on? 4. Only scan was the CT, on head. IS it to late for another? if so what type should be done.
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: MRI spine for brachial plexus with high tesla Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us, I have read your query: Possibility of swelling occurring due to thyroid growth is more likely, yes but it can be aggravated or stimulated due to accident. According to your history most probable reason for your pain is partial injury to brachial plexus due to accidental trauma. This nerve avulsion or partial intimal injury may be seen only on MRI cervical spine for brachial plexus with high tesla [3 to 5]. These condition leads to unbearable pain not relived by medication. Such pain may aggravate further if not treated properly. You may need sympathetic block or nerve transfer after consulting. In conservative management you may need strong analgesic and neurotropic medication. I have seen good recovery after holistic approach like pranayama, meditation and XXXXXXX XXXXXXX So I will advise same to you, along with physiotherapy. Change your diet and remove inflammatory foods such as citrus fruits, dairy products and wheat that may aggravate the condition. Simultaneously increase your intake of potassium and calcium-rich foods such as bananas and avocados and green leafy vegetables Vitamin B12 is important in the maintenance of health and normal functioning of the nerve tissue and deficiency of it can lead to numbness. You can increase B12 level by taking meat and fish, or you can take Inj methylcobalamine. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care

Follow-up: Why am I having electric shock like feeling in my neck even after taking treatment and what causes pain in trapezius area? 1 hour later
My Area is Newcastle NSW- can you refer a doctor local who could refer me to an MRI for impartial consultation Thankyou XXXX

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Welcome Detailed Answer: Hello again, You can search doctor in your locality in our website in left upper window of search. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.