Why am I getting pain in heart few hours after eating?

Question
For the last week or so, about a half hour after I eat I get a terrible pain around the left top part near my heart. It usually lasts an hour or so. My wife thinks it may be Gall stones. Do you have any ideas?
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 1 hour later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX

The pain due to gall stones is not on the left side but on the right side of the abdomen called right hypchondrium.

The left side pain you had is most probably the stomach pain. The area you have mentioned is the fundus of the stomach which is the common site of gas accumulation and causes pain. such type of pain is commonly caused by fatty or spicy foods.

Antacids like magnesium carbonate are very much effective. If you repeatedly experience the symptoms then there might be chances of gastritis due to high acids secretions. In that case one week course of omeprazole will be effective.

For further detailed work up you can visit gastroenterologist.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: Why am I getting pain in heart few hours after eating? 8 hours later
I recently went to a Chiropractor for a back problem and he did a series of x-rays and on one of them he said that he noticed impacted feces either in my stomach or bowel and suggested that I do a two day cleanse. Do you think that this might have something to do with the pain that I am having? Is a cleanse the way to go and what should I take, when and how?
Thank you, XXXXXXX

Thanks for the reply

The back pain is totally different than your current problem and have its own causes and for that problem i don't think you need cleanse.

The stomach do not contain stool impacts and can not be detected by x-ray. The only investigation done for stomach in case of ulcers is endoscopy. As i stated earlier your current pain is the stomach due to dyspepsia or gastritis which is food related.

There are multiple treatment options you can avail and most of drugs are available on the counter. I would recommend omeprazole 20mg once a day for 07 days along with domeperidone syrup 3 time a days. you can start now or when ever you experience such symptoms

Thanks

Follow-up: Why am I getting pain in heart few hours after eating? 7 hours later
Thank you very much Dr. XXXXXXX I will get the above meds that you mentioned . XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 18 hours later
You are always welcome.

Kindly accept the answer before closing the session and do give your review

Thanks

Follow-up: Why am I getting pain in heart few hours after eating? 1 hour later
Dr. XXXXXXX
Since the last time we corresponded the pain comes more frequently and is stronger. I have begun vomiting and having dry heaves. I was up all last night in pain but I have been ok for the last 4 hours. I have no insurance and my Primary Doctor has quit private practice so I am relying on you for help
Thank you, XXXXXXX

Hi
Thanks for having confidence on me

As i told you, your problem is totally related to stomach and now when you have started vomiting so it strongly suggests gastritis. As i suggested some medicine for the problem. hope you have started that but if still not kindly use the following as prescribed. I am using generic names. kindly get any brand available. They all are on the counter drugs.

1. Dimenhydrinate 1 tablet 3 times a day for atleast 3 days.

2. omeprazole 20mg 1 tablet twice daily for 7 days

3. domeperidone 1 tablet 2 times a day.

4. Aluminum Hydroxide + Magnesium Hydroxide.(Antacid)

Avoid spicy and fat foods. try to use small frequent meals.

Hope this solves your problem

Thanks