Why am I getting fever after total hysterectomy?

i had a total hysterectomy almost 3 weeks ago.At the time of the surgery I was given leviquin in my iv. it did not seem to give me any problems 10 days later I had a low grade fever and my dr. sent me to the er for some tests the tests were ok,and my dr. sent me home with a prescription for cipro and ibuprofen. I had a cns reaction to that and had to go to the hosp.I am still having some problems with this and was wondering if this will be over soon.It has been 5 days.My dr.says it will take a little while.I am very afraid. PLEASE HELP
Posted Sat, 8 Dec 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 3 hours later

Yes, it generally takes week or two week to recover completely. Once the initial reaction is managed well and symptoms are not progressing, you should not be afraid.One should let symptoms resolve on their own. Most of the time, the follow up treatment is just symptomatic and generally adopted approach is wait and watch.

Hope this answers your question.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Follow-up: Why am I getting fever after total hysterectomy? 6 hours later
Thank You for yor answer,i just have one more thing, I do have more symptoms with anxiety with this .Can I expect this to fade with time? Once again ThanK You.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 24 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

If anxiety is purely related to this event, then it will fade with time. But if there are other issues making you worry, then you can get help of your treating doctor, who can help you with short course of anxiolytics.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.

Follow-up: Why am I getting fever after total hysterectomy? 1 hour later
Thank You again, just to try to put my mind at ease do these drugs have any permanant effects on the nevous system. I have read that they can, and you mentioned anxiolytics, i am unfamiliar with them .Can you tell me what they are?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 32 minutes later

I am not sure if your follow up query is about effects of cipro / ibuprofen or permanent effects of anxiolytics - therefore I shall address both.

1. A brief course of ciprofloxacin and ibuprofen do not cause long term / permanent central nervous symptom effects. Drug induced reactions usually recover after the drugs are stopped.

2. As far as anxiolytics are concerned, there are medications which can help to relieve your anxiety. They calm down your mind. Short course of anxiolytics also won't have long term effect on your health. Again to begin with doctor will start you on milder dosage.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if there are other concerns.