Why am I feeling weak while walking?

Question
i feel like i get very weak calves when i walk.. what could it be??
i feel like i cant catch my brEATH//WHEN I LAY DOWN IT GOES AWAY...SO SCARED...
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Walking and observing weakness deserves a proper clinical evaluation.
However, it would be important to know for how long you have been experiencing this?
Any other muscle weakness in other area?
Any such symptoms in the eyes? any eye lid lag?

Weakness with effort is common in a neurologic disease called myeasthenia gravis. You lack other key symptoms, but it deserves to be evaluated carefully and excluded. A neurlogic consultation for proper tests to be done is very necessary. Vitamin B 12 levels are important to be measured, history of exposure to chemicals or farming and agricultural sprays must be considered too.

For the breathlessness or breathing difficulties you experience while walking, a cardiac problem must first be excluded. Its important to know whether you cough frequently or not? Any notion of chest pain? Swelling feet?

A chest X XXXXXXX and a cardiac ultrasound are initial compulsory. It important to exclude heart failure most especially. Lung problems like asthma, other chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, infections, pleural effusions (fluid in the lungs) are other possibilities.

I suggest you consult your internist first, for a proper clinical review and organization if the management plan.

Thanks and best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.

Follow-up: Why am I feeling weak while walking? 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for the query,

Any other muscle weakness in other area? wrist and hands

Any such symptoms in the eyes? any eye lid lag? no

b12 normal

Its important to know whether you cough frequently or not? Any notion of chest pain? no cough, just occasional.

Swelling feet? NO

i also get sweaty palms

Thanks and best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

From what you say, it already discards possibilities myasthenia gravis. However, I therefore strongly recommend the consultation with the internist. Serum electrolytes and screen for vasculitis have to be done. The cardiac evaluation by your internist remains an important aspect of the care. I suggest you book the appointment with your internist.

Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be.

Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.