Why am I feeling pain on knee while walking?

Feb 2013

about a week ago i had this funny feel on my right knee cap when i ran but was fine when i walk. And around 2 days ago it started to hurt even when i walk and land my feet on the ground. it doesnt hurt if i touch it. However i feel pain if i straighten or curve my knee as long as i touch the ground in the end. I have been running and swan yesterday which i think might have cause the pain to elevate. Please let me know what is wrong with me and what i need to do. thankyou
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Are you a athlet?

Do you overuse the knee joint means more running or sitting for prolonged period?

Any history of trauma or injury to knee joint?

Please provide the information to advise you in a better way.

This type of pain on knee cap are associated with irritation of the quadriceps tendons or due to loss of smooth cartilage surface knee cap which causes rubbing and pain with knee joint activity.

For pain, you can use ice packs.

Avoid stress on the knee joints by giving rest for running and not lifting the weights.

For the pain, you can take ibuprofen in prescribed dosage.

If the pain is persisting with difficulty in walking, consult an Orhopedic Surgeon for the examination and treatment.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Follow-up: Why am I feeling pain on knee while walking? 2 hours later
I use to be an athlete but that's been like 7 years ago.

I recently started working out again. I started running up and down stairs and treadmill for 30 minutes or so the past week every other day.

And te rest of the time I kind of just sit the whole day.

An I don't have any history of knee injury for what I remember.

How long should I wait before seeing a surgeon for my knee?
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 23 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

I think the pain may be due to stress caused by the work outs by running up and down stairs and treadmill and prolonged sitting.

I advise you to decrease stress on knee joints by stoping work outs involving weight bearing on knee joints.

During sitting you can do mild stretching exercises without putting weight on knees.

Consult as early as possible an Orthopedic Surgeon for the advise regarding on exercises and medication to relieve the pain and to prevent further injury of knee cap.