Why am I experiencing electrical brain zaps while sleeping?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
brain zapsI am having electrical brain zaps while sleeping. I see volts of electricity and it makes me jump and wakes me up. what is happening.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
The sudden intermittent electric brain zaps that you are experiencing can be related to benign causes like electrolyte imbalances or a vitamin B complex deficiency. These can also be suggestive of an intracranial pathology.
A history of head injury can cause such symptoms. You need to take plenty of fruit juices and electrolyte XXXXXXX fluids to correct any electrolyte and fluid imbalance.
In case the symptoms are persistent, you might need to consult your doctor or a ‎neurologist for proper examination and tests to rule out anything serious.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Why am I experiencing electrical brain zaps while sleeping? 0 minute later
I was in a car.accident 2/12/13. should I go to er?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. You should consult a neurologist as these symptoms could be due to a subdural hemorrhage.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Why am I experiencing electrical brain zaps while sleeping? 1 minute later
how do they test your vitamin b levels?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Vitamin B 12 levels are tested using a blood test.
These may not be needed as you have a history of head injury.
Your neurologist will guide you regarding all the tests.