Why am I developing lumps on my head?

I am 57 years old, 5 feet tall and 128 pounds. For the most part I have been in excellent health, however, have been experiencing lumps on my head. They swell and are tender to the touch. They go away and and new ones develop. But the most concernig is the lump that is pea sized next to my right eye socket. It does not seem to go away, been about 2 weeks. Any ideas what this could be?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 27 minutes later
Hi Wenlee,

Your symptoms of lumps are suggestive of Recurrent Folliculitis.
These are infection of the glands associated with hair follicles. They come intermittently over hairy skin and usually go with out treatment They can be red and painful to. Some times, a course of antibiotics will be required.

The swelling next to your rt eye socket is again likely related to folliculitis. Other possibilities are sebaceous cyst.

A clinical examination by a doctor can confirm what it is.

Do consult a physician and get your self evaluated.

The most common source of folliculitis is the bacterial which resides in the nostrils. When we handle or nose and then scratch over skin, the bacterial gets transmitted. Hence is advisable to apply antispetic ointment to nostrils to clear the bacterial from there. Also advisable is to keep your nails short.

Hope this answers your query.
Please get back if you need an further information.
Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran