White spots on cheeks. Using Retinoic acid and Hydroquinone. Which laser method I have to opt for?

I have some white spots on my cheeks, and they are NOT Vitiligo, it´s just lighter than the other part, which is the best option to recover the pigment? I visited doctors and they stated I have brown spots and they make some parts to appear lighter. I am worried and I need to know which laser: IPL Laser, the Active FX or CO2 would work well? I am using a cream with retinoic acid and Hydroquinone. But I think it´s the opposite I want, to get the lighter spots darker and not lighter. Help me please.
Posted Thu, 28 Jun 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 7 hours later
Hi dear,

I understand your problem and will advise you accordingly.

Retinoic acid and hydroquinone cream is used for skin lightening that is to make dark spots light.So you should stop using it ,if you dont want to get rid of dark spots.

Lasers are not the treatment option for you as you want treatment for lighter skin spots.

The best treatment for you would be to undergo Chemical peeling with glycolic acid.Glycolic acid peels help in homogenization of pigmentation over face.They will make skin more even and reduce dyschromia on face.

If you want home based treatment you can apply pimecrolimus cream over the light skin colored areas.Which will even the complexion.
Also mild steroid can be applied for few days over face to treat hypopigmented areas.

Also application of gel containing placental extract and exposing face to early sunlight for 10-15 min will help to regain pigmentation over light skin areas.

Hope this helps.

If you need any further clarification do let me know.

Follow-up: White spots on cheeks. Using Retinoic acid and Hydroquinone. Which laser method I have to opt for? 9 hours later
Dear DrSudarshan.
Thanks for your prompt response on my question. I just wanted to make sure you know I don´t have an eczema, neither vitiligo or mole under the cheek. My skin is normal and the only problem is the hypopigmented area. There are 2 spots, one close to the nose and other very close to it at the cheek, I have a very pale skin. The size of each of them are around 2-3 cm, and they are really bothering me. To find this medication you mentionated is really complicated to me as I live in South XXXXXXX Brazil. I just quite visited lots and lots of doctor and been trying to find the best option to my problem, and they insist I have Melasma in the middle of the lighter spots, which I think it´s wrong, because the Melasma is very light and does not bother me AT ALL. I just wanted really to get rid of the white pigmentation. So please dear doc, let me know what I do, and how long does it take to go away. I think the best option would be the Chemical peeling with glycolic acid? I can have that here in my country. Let me know and thanks for your kindly answer to my problem.
Follow-up: White spots on cheeks. Using Retinoic acid and Hydroquinone. Which laser method I have to opt for? 40 minutes later
ps doc, the hydroquinone and retinoic acid cream does not make the skin to be even more lighter at the white spots does it?
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later
Hi again,

I understood your problem perfectly I know that you dont have vitiligo or eczema .

You are just concerned about hypopigmented patches.

As suggested earlier Glycolic peeling will even out the complexion and will match skin tone of hyper and hypopigmented areas.

To specifically treat lighter areas apply tacrolimus or pimecrolimus cream over affected areas once at night time.

The hydroquinone and retinoic acid cream can make the skin to be even more lighter at the white spots ,so avoid its application on light areas.

Hope this helps.

If you have any further queries feel free to ask.
If you have no further queries please accept my answer and rate it at the end.