White patches on back, itchy, spreading. Tried Lidex. Scared

Jul 2012

Hi, i am spanish of dark skin color. i had white patches on my back and they were flaky. i have tried many things throughout the years, i have had them for about 20 years and with time it has been spreading throughout my body; currently they are in my entire back along with buttocks and all in the front between neck and thighs. i have done i have been told it is not fungal, but nothing makes them go away. this year they have transformed and became darker, and itchier, and the skins texture has changed. it is spreading faster and they look awful, they are darker as if i was burned skin and flakier and itchy. i was just told that it is a form of eczema and have tried lidex and triamcinolone acetonide cream 0.1 % but it is not working. i don't know what to do, this is very frustrating. now i am very scared because it is going up my neck and i am afraid it will go to my face and arms and i will no longer be able to hide it.... please tell me is there anything you can suggest/
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 2 hours later
Hi there AAAAA. I agree with you at the outset..who doesn't have this nowadays..:) Having said that, let's try to help you out best we can online. I read your description of the lesions & have viewed your posted photograph (the latter is'nt entirely clear...perhaps the angle or lighting). Off the cuff, it appears that you have some sort of ailment compromising your skin hydration. Gougerout Carteaud Syndrome (may be googled to see if some symptoms tie in) did spring to mind as also a host of dry skin ailments. A systemic antifungal course (eg oral fluconazole 400mg stat (one time) repeated after a two week interval) is how i would take this forward but am assuming one needs to get a prescrption for this from as dermatologist on the ground. Couple that with a topical moisturizer & skin rejuvenation cream (eg Cicabio from Bioderma if available in your country) applied liberally twice/daily after 'wetting' the skin surface (thus allowing the moisture to be trapped by the cream on top) may suffice. Addition of a bath oil (from the aveeno group or sebamed group) to soak in the tub & /or topical natural aloevera plant creams/gels on 'wet' skin may further aid you.
I do empathise with your problem & hope this regime works for you.
Cheers & Good Luck!!