White patch on the roof of mouth. What could this be?

I had a blood blister develop last Monday. I think it was tasting a very hot dish of food that burned the mouth. The blister has gone away, but now I have a small white patch surrounded by bright red. It is very sore if any food touches it. The sore is on the roof of my mouth. I take no medications, as my health is very good. I exercise, eat well, etc. I do have a history of herpes sores on my lips, but I did not have one when this happened. I have no other lesions on my body. Is this a matter time healing it, or might it be infected. It is about 1/4 inch long, and about 1/8 inch wide. The red around it is like little red stripes all around it, except at the bottom..It is in the back of the roof of the mouth and to the right side. Anything else I can tell you?
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
seen in healing

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Injury to the mucosal surface of the mouth can result in the white lesions. The white appearance is due to scarring of the surface and will resolve in 7 days to 2 weeks.

The bright red area is related to the blood supply to the surface and is also a part of healing.

None of these signs indicate that the lesion is not healing well or is becoming infected. Signs and symptoms of infection are delayed healing (taking longer than the time mentioned), fever, discharge, the pain worsens not improves, swelling.

You should consider the use of an oral antiseptic analgesic combination or use them separately. An example of a combination would be oraflora gel.

A separate antiseptic spray is halo.

There are a lot of oral analgesics available such as benzocaine.

These medications would help with the pain and to prevent infection while the area is healing.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions