White flap under the tongue, soreness in mouth and tongue. What could it be?

My husband got what he thought was a cold but settled in his throat and then a white flap appeared under his tongue. He says his whole mouth and tongue is sore. Could it be serious? What should he do?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question here on XXXXXXX

First of all, the symptoms that you describe your husband as having, do not sound at all serious or in any way XXXXXXX

Without seeing it, I can't diagnose the "white flap" under his tongue but wonder if he might have an oral thrush infection secondary to taking antibiotics. If this is the case he will benefit from an anti-fungal mouth wash aloe vera or mycostatin.

If things persist then he may need to see a doctor.

Good health. I hope this has been of some help and that you can accept this answer.