Ask a Urologist   »  

White and pink boil on penis, sensitive to touch, appears occasionally

Hi I have 4 doctors on this issue still no answer. A boil appeared top right rim of the penis. White and pink in color lasted for about 4 hours and became sensitive to touch. Then once in a a while a bump will appear in the are the size of the tip of a pin that is XXXXXXX purple and is there for about a couple hours and then gone. Any help?
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 24 minutes later
Let me make an effort to help you understand what's going on as I am sure this is quite concerning. The first thing we think about in a case like this is - i there some kind of infectious source and by infectious I mean the following:
1) Bacteria such as staph or strep
2) Sexually transmitted organisms such has hemoph ducreyi or syphilis, chlamydia or gonorrhea. Chlamydia and gonorrhea may cause a discharge from the urethra and it sounds like you do not have that going on.
3) Sexually transmitted viruses such as human papilloma virus or Fungal organisms which can cause some inflammation. This is easily treated with over the counter clotrimazole - not sure if you havetried that yet?

The best way to assess for an infectious origin would be to culture the area when one of these lesions declares itself. This is especially helpful if there is some kind of drainage from the site.

A second category is - inflammatory skin condition or even dry skin which could trigger an eruption that comes and goes. For this, often times a good over the counter moisturizing cream or lotion can help.

Have you documented any of these lesions with pictures? That may be of help as well.

These are my considerations at this point. I hope I have helped provide you with adequate information. I am available for your followups.
Follow-up: White and pink boil on penis, sensitive to touch, appears occasionally 37 minutes later
I have had discharge but only during bathroom time number 2. Was tested for STD syph and gon both negative. No pics and I only had the boil one time. Right now just irritation and the sensitive. I have had what the doc said an fungal infection on the hand and tried cream no go
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 10 hours later
By discharge I mean any clear or yellow thick mucous-like discharge coming from the penis. If you have anything like that - you could have a variant of infection going on.

Now - related to the bumps you have referred to - if it involves fungal infection - there are several different types of fungal creams including clotrimazole or terconazole among others. Maybe a trial of an alternative cream would be prudent at this time.

Other things that can cause small bumps to come and go includes Herpes. Usually herpes is quite painful - so it sounds like this is not the case for you.

I would also suggest some warm soaks in a bathtub once a day for a few days. Sometimes this will help sooth an irritated area and promote healing.

Finally, one thing we have not discussed here really is - have you had any unprotected sex with a new partner recently? We cannot avoid this consideration as well.

I hope our discussion continues to be informative for you. I am here for followup if you need.