While doing stretching had popping sound and pain on thigh. Able to move but feel weak. Suggest?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Doing splits without stretching with right leg forward, heard 3 pops and now have some pain to back of right thigh. Tingling noted but ice has been to area for about 20 minutes. I am able to move my leg and foot in all directions but it feels week when walking through my step. What did I injur???
Posted Thu, 3 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Might have injured HAMSTRING MUSCLES

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on your description of symptoms, there is a possibility that you might have injured your Hamstring muscles (semimembranosus, semitendinosus and biceps femoris) at the back of your thigh.

These hamstring muscles are extensors of the hip joint and flexors of the knee. So,if you don't have enough power/strength in flexing your knee against resistance (when compared to the opposite side), then there is likely possibility of a hamstring muscle tear. This can be confirmed by undergoing MRI scan of the involved area.

The general treatment guidelines of this problem is as follows -
* Rest to the injured muscles and avoid any activities that causes pain
* Ice packing of the affected zone once in 2-3 hours
* Apply an elastic compression bandage in a snug fit manner around the painful area
* Gentle massage with a pain killer cream will help in alleviating the pain and inflammation
* Use either Advil or Aleve as needed

If your symptoms are not resolving with the above measures, consult an orthopedic surgeon for further workup and management.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further.